Most people have new year's resolutions, birthday resolutions and etc. But as a Muslimah looking to increase her faith and dedication to the deen, every year I try to set up new (or even old) goals and resolutions during the month of Ramadan. What better way to try and achieve these goals than during a month when Allah's (swt) mercy and generosity is so abundant. Naturally, most Muslims, including myself, make extra efforts during this time to strengthen our devotion and relationship with Allah (swt). We pray more, recite Qur'an more, show more mercy and patience with friends and family. We dhikr more, make more dua, give more charity and try to do more good deeds during the month of Ramadan.
This Ramadan, my top ten goals are:
1. Learn the meaning of a new dua everyday.
2. Give more charity in all its forms.
3. Spend more time supporting other muslimahs who are having their first Ramadan.
4. Including single muslimahs in my family iftars so they don't have to spend it alone.
5. Getting to the masjid for tarawih prayers every night.
6. Completing the reading of the entire Qur'an during the month of Ramadan.
7. Praying tahajjud and seeking the Night of Power in the last ten nights.
8. Learn two new surahs (or more) during the month of Ramadan
9. Showing more patience to family, friends and strangers.
10. Writing or saying a word of praise and gratitude of Allah's mercy and generosity every night.
It is my hope, that I, along with all my brothers and sisters in Islam, that we make the most of this precious month and become closer to Allah, our religion, our ummah and even ourselves.