Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bubble in Space!

I snabbed this little beauty over at Karen's blog, Musings of a Novelista. It is a picture of a stellar bubble. I thought it was really cool that she found this particular photo as she wrote a post about "bubbles" (well more like writers who write in a bubble.) Well, I do tend to sometimes find myself in my own kind of "bubble" when I write or in a reading kind of mood. But what really sent me over the moon with this photo is that for the past couple of days, the children in my toddler class have been obsessing over bubbles. And not just any bubbles either. No, they want BIG bubbles. The kind of bubble that has to be blown carefully and slowly. I have somewhat mastered the technique and love entertaining the children in their quest in bursting the BIG bubbles! :D

A delicate sphere of gas, photographed by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, floats serenely in the depths of space. The pristine shell, or bubble, is the result of gas that is being shocked by the expanding blast wave from a supernova. Called SNR 0509-67.5 (or SNR 0509 for short), the bubble is the visible remnant of a powerful stellar explosion in the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC), a small galaxy about 160,000 light-years from Earth. The bubble-shaped shroud of gas is 23 light-years across and is expanding at more than 11 million miles per hour (5,000 kilometers per second). The bubble-shaped shroud of gas is 23 light-years across and is expanding at more than 11 million miles per hour (5,000 kilometers per second).

No comments:

Post a Comment