Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

What I love About Ramadan


I am really looking forward to Ramadan this year. It is a spiritual break. TV goes off. Music nill. Fiction novels go on the shelf. Facebook goes dark.

While I should not wait for Ramadan as the only time to reflect on my life as a Muslim, it certainly does help put me in the spiritual mood and give me lots of encouragement. For one, I read a LOT more Qur'an during Ramadan. I love that. I love reading the Qur'an in both Arabic and English. I love thinking about the guiding words, the glad tidings, the reminders and even the warnings. Ramadan gives me that opportunity to read more, one-thirtieth everyday.

Fasting. Ramadan is the only time where I fast and not feel the affects of abstaining from food and drink. Any other time I get the tired, achy, headache and hunger pains. At work I'm exhausted. But during Ramadan, Alhamdulillah, I don't feel those things. Ramadan is also a great dawah tool. My co-workers know when it is Ramadan and often have questions when they know I'm fasting.

There is also the social part of Ramadan, visiting and having iftar with friends that I don't see very often. I love the family dinners as everyone has to break fast at the same time.

Insha Allah, I pray this Ramadan will see me come out for the better. That I remain observant and steadfast. That I hold fast to the word of Allah and implement it in my life. Ahlan was Sahlan ya Ramadan

No comments:

Post a Comment